In this section, the U.S. industries targeted by the research, education, extension and outreach efforts of the MASGC during the past decade were identified through standard industry classification.
Objective 1: List the industry sectors with which Sea Grant Research, Education, Extension and Outreach (SG-REEO) has worked or is currently working.
Method 1: In order to achieve this objective, an initial list of economic sectors which the PI considers as the primary sectors is shown below:
Economic Sectors - as defined in the North American Industrial Classification System:
- Commercial fishing
- Seafood processing
- Seafood wholesaling
- Fish and seafood markets
- Seafood restaurants
- Marine aquaculture
- Working waterfronts
- Commercial marinas
- Charter boats for-hire
- Marine recreational fishing
- Coastal restoration
- Shipbuilding and repairing
- Wildlife watching
- Research and development in biotechnology
- Research and development in the physical, engineering, and life sciences
- Research and development in the social sciences and humanities
- Local government excluding education and hospitals
- Elementary and secondary schools
- Private households
Source: Posadas, Benedict C. 2014. Economic Sectors Targeted By The Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Research, Extension, Education And Outreach Programs. Mississippi State University Extension Service Publication 2849 and Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Publication MASGP-14-007. Mississippi State, Mississippi.