Statement of the Problem:
The chart below shows how the annual shares of Mississippi to total US commercial landings fell by more than one-half in 2005 and 2006 due to the damages associated with Hurricane Katrina. The closures of significant portions of the Gulf of Mexico federal and Mississippi state waters to commercial and recreational fishing due to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in April 2010 altered the production and consumption decisions of residents and tourists in affected communities. The changes in the market perceptions and flow of goods and services generated by the damaged natural resources affected not only households but also the seafood producers and service providers dependent on these natural resources. The annual shares of Mississippi to total domestic commercial landings fell by about one-half in 2010 and one-third in 2011 relative to the average shares in 2007-2009.
Increase sales of seafood products harvested and processed by Mississippi fishermen and processors using MarketMaker which is an interactive mapping system that locates businesses and markets of agricultural and seafood products and marine-related services in Mississippi, as well as in other member states, providing an important link between producers and consumers.
1. Provide an electronic database of seafood establishments, farmers markets, for-hire charter boats, restaurants, processors, retail stores and other seafood establishments in coordination with the National MarketMaker Program and the GOM Seafood Marketing Coalition.
2. Increase listings and registrations and encourage updates of online profiles of fisheries and marine-related establishments at the Mississippi MarketMaker website.
3. Develop and maintain Mississippi MarketMaker social media networks in coordination with the National MarketMaker Program and the GOM Seafood Marketing Coalition.
You may search for businesses at MarketMaker -http://ms.foodmarketmaker.com
You can follow MS-MM at Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/MSMarketMaker
You can also follow MS-MM at Twitter -https://twitter.com/MS_MarketMaker
You can also follow Mississippi MarketMaker Blog at -http://msmarketmaker.wordpress.com/
Ask Siri or Cortana to find Mississippi MarketMaker on your smart phone.
4. Develop, update and disseminate MarketMaker training materials for fisheries and marinerelated establishments, regulators, marketing, and research/extension faculty and staff.
5. Conduct Mississippi MarketMaker training workshops for fisheries and marine-related establishments, regulators, marketing, and research/extension faculty and staff.